11 REASONS TO LOVE DEL CERRO
So you wanted a beach community but the only thing you can afford there is a cardboard box. You’ll likely be pushed further East, just past the 15 Freeway. Enter Del Cerro.
Del Cerro is a special community for me because I live here and I know after you read 11 reasons to love Del Cerro you’ll want to live here too. Del Cerro is nestled in a hillside, like so many other communities in San Diego, but its central location, amazing views, and beautifully manicured suburban properties make it feel like the best-hidden gem in San Diego.
Home values in Del Cerro, San Diego are typically around 20% higher than the median home price in San Diego. As of January 2019, the median home price in San Diego was $659,000.00.
So, what exactly does that mean? If you want to buy in Del Cerro you’ll pay a bit of a premium, but nothing in comparison to Coastal properties. Keep in mind location is the single most important factor that influences value. Why? Because the location of a property is the only thing you can never change.
MY DEL CERRO TOP 11:
- LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION: Del Cerro consumes the zip code of 92120. It’s close to the 8, 15, and 805 Freeways and only around 15 minutes to Mission Beach and 5 minutes to Lake Murray. It has numerous canyons, walking trails, and parks including my kids favorite, Princess Park which has all of the basic play equipment (including swings moms!), as well as a basketball court, and soccer field.
- THE CULTURE: You won’t get bored or have to travel if you call Del Cerro home. With the Fall Festival, First Fridays in the Park, The Artisan Festival, The Del Cerro Pool, and more there is always something to do where you can have fun and meet your neighbors.
- SCHOOLS: It’s home to several award-winning schools including Hearst
Elementary. The 10 out of 10 schools are one of the main reasons this neighborhood is so highly sought after. Everyone wants to give their child the best opportunity to succeed and that begins with education.
- MORE OWNERS THAN RENTERS: Del Cerro has a low rental population. If you’ve looked to rent a home in Del Cerro than you know this.
- PEOPLE DON’T LEAVE: The Majority of homeowners have resided in the community for 15 years or longer. As such, homes are maintained at a higher standard of care and the available inventory of homes stays lower than the county average.
- SMART NEIGHBORS: As of 2016, almost half of the homeowners is Del Cerro were college graduates, 95% of the residents in Del Cerro have graduated high school. In addition to its residents being educated, Del Cerro has been noted as having a higher quality of life rating than the national average. According to Real Estate Digital, quality of life measures: the cost of health care, air quality, commute time, walking trails, schools, economy, people, and of course, housing.
- FIRE STATION 31: Just in case your home burns down, FireStations 31 is located in Del Cerro off College Blvd and Lance. The centrally located station means it can respond within minutes to any emergency in the neighborhood. Probably not something that’s on the top of your list when buying a home, but I promise you’ll want a home with a quick emergency response time should you ever need them. How long it takes Police and Fire to respond to an emergency in a neighborhood also speaks to the quality of life for its residents.
- EASY SHOPPING: OK. So yes, you have to drive to the main Grocery store a full 5 minutes away. However, when you need something in a jiffy or your list is just a few items you can pop into Windmill the neighborhood Grocery store off College and Del Cerro Blvd. It’s an organic grocery store and can be compared to a small Whole Foods.
- TEMPLE EMANUAL: Del Cerro has a high Jewish population due to Temple Emanual calling the area home. The temple is located off College and Del Cerro Blvd across from the Chevron Gas Station. While the temple practices Judaism a large number of their Preschool parents are not. They happen to run, in my opinion, one of the best preschools in San DIego County Price Preschool.
- PRICE PRESCHOOL: If you have kids under grade school age then you know how hard it is to find good child care for infants and toddlers. Price Preschool which is located at Temple Emanual is a top-notch preschool and child care facilities. With Pizza and Pasta every Tuesday and Friday, Enrichments classes including dance, music, books, soccer, and small class sizes this Preschool provides parents the education, love, and peace of mind we are all looking for. The school is conveniently located right off the 8 Freeway and College West.
- HIGHLY DESIRED: It’s popular. Let’s be honest… we want what’s cool. Del Cerro might not be as trendy as North Park, you certainly won’t be foregoing your Uber to walk down the street to the bar, but it’s a community you’ll certainly be proud to tell people about.